Alexander Technique & Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease challenges movement, your experience of moving in the world and ultimately the perception of yourself at its very core. However, these moments of awareness also represent a doorway to knowledge and understanding of yourself as a dynamic being: within them lies an opportunity to explore and organize movement in a different way, a more easeful way. These explorations are the field of work of the Alexander Technique.
lessons can help you with ...
If you have been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, you might find the Alexander Technique and the lessons I offer a very helpful tool to adjust to this new component of your life. The learning and application of Alexander Technique skills can help you with :
- emotional symptoms : apathy, feelings of helplessness, loss of confidence and depression - which may all affect a person's ability to face the daily challenges imposed by Parkinson's disease in daily life.
- general physical symptoms : sleep disturbances, tiredness, rigidity in postural tone (which appears as stooped posture), compromised gait and sense of balance
- fine motor skills : smoothness of movement in specific actions (walking, speaking , etc), initiating movement
What you will find in lessons
- Improving your quality of movement in specific actions of daily living (walking, climbing up stairs, speaking, getting up from the floor etc)
- Finding support within yourself to move with more control and safety
- Initiating movement with composure
- Identifying functional patterns that promote ease and efficiency of movement - all important components for maintaining your autonomy and agency in the world.
LESSONS WILL FOCUS ON:.
- improving your quality of movement in specific actions of daily living (walking, climbing up stairs, speaking, getting up from the floor etc)
- finding support within yourself to move with more control and safety
- initiating movement with composure
- identifying functional patterns that promote ease and efficiency of movement - all important components for maintaining your autonomy and agency in the world.
These lessons will not become a crutch to rely on. Their purpose is for you to carve a time and space in your life to develop and own a set of tools that you can refine, grow with and choose to apply in your daily life. The continued application of learnt skills makes Alexander Technique lessons a gift that keeps on giving. It is a very empowering, energizing and joyful process.
What Research Says
VIDEOS BY THEPOISEPROJECT.ORG:
"Teachers of the Alexander Technique gather details (through observation and light touch) about a person's movements and use this information to direct a person to couple thoughts and muscle activity in a purposeful manner. A relatively small study of people who practised the Alexander Technique showed improved disability and depression ratings."
- Excerpt from Parkinson 360, Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
“Camille greets you as both a student and as a complete dynamic organism, not as a patient with a singular issue to 'cure'. I was at first interested in addressing a nagging neck issue, but with Camille's assistance I came to realize that how I was using my body was the source of the problems.”
- Chris A.
“Camille's practical exercises, knowledge, and patience towards all my questions and doubts won me over. She helped me untangle bad movement habits and I still think of the cues she gave me. She changed my posture, literally and figuratively!”
- Chris B.
"For in the mind of man lies the secret of his ability to resist, to conquer and finally to govern the circumstances of his life."
"The reality is that things change ; the question is, how will I perceive that change, and am I willing to go along with it?"
- Michael J.Fox